Language :
Bahasa Indonesia
support banner

Before Arrival - Visa Approval and Arrival to Malaysia

• Once document completed and payment has been made, City UC will assist the visa application process and once it has been approved, student will
receive a copy of approval letter  from the Malaysia Immigration Department which will be sent to the student from IO Office.

• Students can arrange their flight tickets to Malaysia and to inform City UC at least within seven (7) working days prior to arrival date for necessary pick up arrangement either at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) or Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT).

Upon Arrival

• Upon approval, a student Visa Approval Letter (VAL) will be issued by the Immigration Department which City UC will send to applicants. Applicants will have to bring along the VAL to enter Malaysia as a student for a predetermined duration.
• An IO Officer will be waiting to receive students at the arrival hall and assist students from thereon.

Briefing @ City UC

• Briefing will be done at City UC campus on the next procedures for enrollment.
• Once arrived at the campus, students will have to submit their passport and all necessary documents.
• Students need to settle enrollment payment.
• Students will be given a Student Handbook.


• International students may request for accommodation and transportation assistance. It can be arranged by informing your request at least one
  (1) month earlier.

• For further inquiries please consult your IO Officer.

icon check1

A credit card will be handy. It is advisable that money should be brought into Malaysia in Travellers Cheques. Make sure your money can cover at least the first 3 months' expenses such as food, accommodation costs and books.

Important documents to bring along:
• Passport
• Flight Ticket
• Driver's License (if any)
• Acceptance Letter and Immigration Approval Letter
• Original Academic Qualification transcript - in English (compulsory)
• Receipts / proofs of payment for all fees

It would be a good idea to make a copy of your City U's documents (for example, Acceptance Letter, Approval Letter,
Original Academic Qualification transcripts and receipts).


Immigration Policies for International Students

All International students are required to comply with policies set by the Immigration Department of Malaysia. Please adhere strictly to the requirements to minimise delay or other problems that may arise. A passport or travel document with minimum one and half year (18 months) validity is required to come into the country. You need to obtain an approval letter from the Malaysian Immigration Department prior to entering
the country.

You are to send all the necessary documentation to the relevant authority to apply for your student pass/visa (this will be applied for by the university on your behalf). The whole process will take 6 to 8 weeks. Once approved, the Immigration Department of Malaysia will send you
a Visa Approval Letter (VAL). You are required to seek advice from the nearest Malaysian Embassy, High Commission or mission for applying
and obtaining an entry visa.

Please note that the VAL is valid for only three (3) months.

Upon receiving your entry visa, you are to inform the University seven (7) working days prior to departing from your country. Bring along a
copy of the VAL. Representatives of the University will meet you at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport and assist you in processing your
entry visa at the Immigration checkpoint. Please submit your passport to the International Student Services to obtain your student visa sticker
as soon as possible, preferably the day after arrival.

Social/Tourist Pass

It is illegal to study in Malaysia under a social/tourist pass. A Special Pass is granted at the discretion of the Director-General of Immigration
or person acting on his behalf. The Director-General has the right to reject any Special Pass application without giving any reason.

Transfer Students from Other Colleges

Students who wish to change colleges after they have received their student visa will need to obtain approval from the Immigration authorities.
Any transfer student who wishes to study in City U has to cancel his/her visa from the previous college. We advise such students to submit all
the relevant documentations to our visa department and leave the country. Students are to come in once they obtain the VAL from the
Immigration Department. Students holding a valid pass under one college are not allowed to study in another.

Not Allowed to Work with Student Pass

Please bear in mind that International Students are not allowed to work in Malaysia during their course of study. They are also not to engage
in any kind of business activities directly or indirectly. Anyone found doing so will be deported immediately.

Extension of Student Pass

Bring your passport to International Office (IO) at least 60 days (approximately 2 months) before the expiry date of your student pass for
processing. If students do not comply with the 60 days' renewal period, an administrative cost will be charged according to the number
of days before the passport expires. All International Students must have valid insurance before applying for student pass renewal.

No of days before expiry date        Admin charges (RM)
Less than 24 hour                               100
Less than 24 hours                              100 + student must be present at Immigration

Fill up the student pass and Immigration forms provided by IO Officer. The supporting documents that you need to provide are:
• 1 passport-sized photograph
• Receipt of tuition fee payment (one year's fees for a one year student pass)
• Receipt of medical insurance payment
• Immigration fee for student pass (the fee varies from country to country)

Overall, it takes about 1 month to process the application.

The APPROVAL of renewal is subject to:
• Passport - Student passport should have at least 1½ year (18 months) validity.
• Attendance - Student must have an attendance of equal to or more than 95% on first renewal and 80% on subsequent renewal.
• In addition, those who are absent for 3 consecutive days in class must provide a valid reason to Immigration.
• Academic results - Student must have a minimum of CGPA: 2.00 (Cumulative Grade Point Average)
• Anyone having less than CGPA: 2.00 will have to write an appeal letter to the Immigration. (An appeal is granted only once)
• The Immigration has the right to cancel student pass based on poor academic results and attendance




Less than 7 days

• Student must write a letter to the Immigration explaining why the student did not renew the student pass
• Student must be present at the Immigration Office with an IO representative to submit the application form
• Student will receive a warning letter from the Malaysian Immigration Department
• Any penalties incurred are to be borne by the student

More than 7 days

• Student must write a letter to the Immigration explaining why the student did not renew the student pass
• Student must be present at the Immigration Office with an IO representative to submit the application form
• Immigration may detain a student for 14 days after he/she has overstayed for more than a week. Student would need to
  pay the penalty of RM30.00 per day
• Any penalties incurred are to be borne by the student

Second offence

• A fine of RM10 000 plus and a jail term will be imposed
• Any penalties incurred are to be borne by the student



Student withdrawing from their studies must report to the International Office (IO) one month prior to departure, fill up the withdrawal form
and obtain the approval for the deposit refund. Students are to bring along a confirmed air ticket and a photocopy for Immigration processing. Student pass will be cancelled. Anyone failing to comply will result in ISSD lodging a Police report, notifying the Immigration Department and
the Ministry of Higher Education to cancel the student pass. All document processing will take up to 2 months, after which the student will
get a refund of personal bond & security deposit.




Students who defer studies will have their student pass cancelled. Student to report to International Office (IO) with confirmed ticket 3 weeks
before departing. Get advice from IO before purchasing the ticket. Anyone failing to comply will result in IO lodging a Police report, notifying
the Immigration Department and the Ministry of Higher Education to affect the cancellation of the student pass.




If you renew/change your passport, you are required to transfer your student pass to the new passport immediately. Your student pass will
not be valid in the old passport. Bring your old and new passports to IO so that we can advise you on what to do. In the event you lose your passport, lodge a report at the nearest Police station and provide us with a copy of the report. Go to your Embassy/High Commission to make
a new one. You are required to carry your passport at all times when you travel in Malaysia.



Follow us on:

City University College of Science and Technology, No.8, Jalan 51A/223 46100 Petaling Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia. Corporate Office : (+603) 7949 1600 Fax : (+603) 7957 7721@ Copyright of City University College 2013.

Download PDF

Vote & Share with us!

How did you know about City UC?

Media (eg: Prints, Billboard, TV, Radio) - 10.7%
Websites & Search Engines - 41%
Words of Mouth (eg: Friends & Family) - 25.4%
Roadshows & Education Fair - 10.7%
Social Media (eg: Facebook, Twitter, Youtube) - 12.3%

Total votes: 122